You are hereBack to top
Bike Repair and Maintenance for Dummies (Paperback)
The nuts and bolts of bike repair for bicycle commuters, serious cyclists, and casual riders
Bike Repair & Maintenance For Dummies provides expert guidance and tips for bicyclists who are hitting the bike trail or just spinning around the neighborhood. If you have a little or a lot of experience in using tools on your bike, this book can show you how to keep your bike in top working order, from tires to handlebars, without all the technical jargon.
If biking is already a part of your life -- or you'd like it to be mdash; this book can help you tackle your own bike maintenance and repair, so you don't have to take it to the shop for routine tune-ups or call for help if you break down in the middle of nowhere. Of course, sometimes you'll need to seek expert help, so the book covers when to attack a problem yourself and when to call in the pros for backup.
And although this book is written in easy-to-understand language without a lot of biking jargon, Bike Repair & Maintenance For Dummies is still a comprehensive guide. Seasoned bike riders looking for additional tips and tricks to keep their bikes in top condition won't be disappointed.
This book will help you repair -- and, if necessary, replace -- the parts on your bicycle. You'll discover how to make basic bike repairs, such as:
- Removing a wheel, tire, or tube
- Patching a tube or fixing a tire
- Working on hubs and spokes
- Installing new brakes and pads or addressing other brake issues
- Adjusting your saddle
- Using suspension seat posts
- Dealing with common chain problems
- Inspecting, cleaning, and lubricating cassettes and freewheels
After you nail the basics, you can dive into advanced repairs and maintenance, including:
- Knowing how a frame is built and inspecting one for problems
- Adjusting and maintaining a bike's suspension
- Removing, installing, and adjusting the rear and front derailleurs
- Removing and installing shifters
- Taping your handlebars
- Adjusting and overhauling your headset
Get your copy of Bike Repair & Maintenance For Dummies to learn all of that, plus tips on staying safe, ensuring your bike is always a good fit for you, and improving your bike's performance.
About the Author
Dennis Bailey has been actively involved in bike repair and maintenance for almost two decades. He has worked on bikes on bike tours in the United States, Europe, and Latin America. Keith Gates has been repairing bikes for more than 30 years and provides personalized service as the owner of A-1 Cycling, with locations in Manassas and Herndon, Virginia.